Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hypocrites

I couldn't believe when it was brought up in class that Dove and Axe are the same company.
Dove's "campaign for beauty" was really inspiring, showing what real women look like and that you should be comfortable in your skin. When the campaign began I remember some of the model's on Oprah, and it seemed like such a big step in the right direction. Dove made me naively believe that they might be sympathetic with the feminist cause. I was sad to find out how wrong I was.
Axe commercials are on the whole are usually more funny than sexy, but at the price of degrading women. I don't disagree with Axe's advertising tactic. The product is aimed at young men, and of course most of these men want women to find them attractive, if not irresistible. The commercials do what they're supposed to and making men smell better in the process. I think it's sad that women are objectified and seen as something to obtain, but these women did choose to do the commercial and we can choose not to support it. I for one don't support it, but I really don't count since I'm not their demographic.
Apart, the products aren't anything to really get upset about. However when you look at the entire picture, you see that the company feeding you "love how you are" is also telling you curvaceous horny women will love you if you use their product. It's sickening. This was an eye opener and I will definitely be a more contentious consumer in the future.

No comments: